MediocrityEntry Word: mediocre
Function: adjective
Meaning: 1 of average to below average quality
Synonyms common, fair, indifferent, medium, middling, ordinary, passable, run-of-the-mill, second-rate, so-so
Related Words acceptable, adequate, all right, alright, decent, OK (or okay), reasonable, satisfactory, sufficient, sufficing, tolerable; moderate, modest; presentable, respectable; minimal, unexceptional; fine, good, nice
Antonyms a basketball in the hands of Michael Jordan (ok, so I added my own twist here)
Hmmm….what is this post about? Mediocrity? I don’t want to hear about that. Am I the only one or have you at some point in your life strived to be more than mediocre? I know that for me I want to be great at my job. I still want to look nice when I dress up, be a good cook, be a good artist/doll maker, plan an awesome meal and entertainment for 100 ladies, and…the list goes on. Well, if the truth be known, in my self-evaluation I find that for the most part I am just mediocre. Oh, don’t get me wrong. I can still cook some good things, work hard at my job, put on a nice evening for 100 women, etc but I am not stellar in any of them. But….is that such a bad thing? We strive and we strive and we strive to be the best at something. What if we just do our best and leave the outcome to God? Now, that seems reasonable. I rather like that – it takes the pressure off. Besides, I think that is how God would like to have it. He wants to shine through us. In God’s Word it says, “My power works best in your weakness.” Wow! What this teaches me is that I can quit trying so hard to be. That doesn’t mean that I do nothing, it just means that I bring what I have to God and allow Him to work through me. It is sort of like being a basketball – A basketball is only a basketball until placed in Michael Jordan’s hands…then it becomes unstoppable.
What can you give to God today that He can work His power through you?
2 comments:
What a beautiful post! I just found your blog and it's quite lovely!
Margaret
Oh, thank you, Margaret...I appreciate your comment so much!
blessings,
Holly
Post a Comment