My daughter recently got married and being the bargain shopper that I am, I went on a hunt for ideas. I was at Hobby Lobby and saw that they were running their bridal items 50% off. They were beautiful and a little pricey (I thought). Then I got this great idea. . why not make the basket for the flower girl and the pillow for the ring bearer?! I love a good project! I thought that I would share what I did.
First of all let me tell you that at regular price the basket and pillow at Hobby Lobby were $29.99 each. Had I bought both of them they would've been $29.99 together - still a little high.
I purchased two baskets at Hobby Lobby for $2.00 (marked down)
1 yard of fabric (on sale) at $3.50 per yard
pillow at a thrift shop for .50 and a new pillow form (still in the bag) at a thrift store for $1.00
You will also need batting and/or fleece to pad the basket and black sating ribbon to wrap the handle in.
I also added black and white lace around the edge and trimmed it in diamond wrap.

1. Overlap basket with fleece and then glue. (Don't show your daughter yet because she will get that scared look of "what are you doing" on her face?) You can also pad the basket with stuffing but do this lightly. You want to give it some shape.
2. Next make sure that you have enough of the fabric and do the same as you did the fleece but this time you will gather (or fold) the fabric to give it a more finished look. (Still don't let your daughter see it because she will still have that scared look on her face). Glue in the same manner.
3. I ran a gathering stitch about an inch down from the rim of the basket and then covered it in black venice lace. This will begin to give it some definition and again I would still recommend not showing it to. . . well, you know.
4. I had some pretty white lace that was gathered on both edges and I sewed it over the black venice lace. (Can you guess what colors the wedding is?) The white ruffled trim is pretty with a white rosebud design going around the middle but because this is a more formal look, I decided to cover it in the diamond wrap. (That is the same product that I used to cover the flip flops). I also sewed it on.
5. Next I added a round rhinestone embellishment
6. The last step was wrapping the handle of the basket in black satin trim. The only ribbon I had was 1/4" wide. It took more but it was easy to use. I glued the handle in spots and began tightly wrapping the handle with the ribbon. Pull gently as you wrap it to make sure there are no gaps. Let dry. Part of making things is using whatever you have around the house. If you're like me, you may not throw much away and then can find something to help with your creative endeavors.
Now you can show your daughter. She will smile and say "it looks good."
The Ring Bearer's Pillow
I forgot to take before pictures, so I am going to attempt to tell you what I did.
Supplies: Pillow form or stuffing, fabric for pillow, fabric for bow and rhinestone button.
1. I measured the pillow that I got at the thrift store. I realized when I took the (old) fabric off the pillow that it was stuffed with polyfil. (stuffing). Because I wasn't using a pillow form, I didn't need to add to the outside edges. I cut two eight inch squares.
2. Next I measured and cut 2 eight inch squares of fabric for the bow. (I used velvet). I sewed down two sides and left two ends open. Turn right side out and press. Gather the two ends that are open so that they measure 4-5 inches and then layer between the two eight inch squares that you are using for the pillow (right sides together). Center the gathered edges so that there is approximately two inches on each side. Sew three sides of the pillow and turn. Press. Stuff pillow and adjust polyfil until you are pleased with the shape. Hand sew the closure.
3. Run a gathering stitch in the middle of the center fabric to make it look like a bow. Next glue or hand stitch the jewel in the center. Maybe you have a special brooch that was a grandmothers that you could use for something old or something borrowed.
There you have it - a beautiful pillow and I like it even better than what we saw in the store.
Blessings!!
Linking with 2nd Time Around Tuesday.







9 comments:
I love them both! I can't wait to see all the lovely things you come up with!!
~Trisha
Great ideas! I LOVE them-especially the bling on the pillow! Great job! xo Diana
Daughter should love that you did this yourself they are just prefect...I know you couldn't have brought any thing better. Trish
Great projects Holly and I love the $ saved!! Bet yours look prettier then the ones at Hobby Lobby too!
Head to P this morning to meet up with Blogger Sally- she has a bunch of clothes for our clothing pantry so will have a quick lunch before heading home as we have guest coming for dinner. We meet at Hobby Lobby so guess we will just have to do a little shopping there too!
bee blessed
mary
So pretty! I love them.
Dee
Oh come on!! You really need to go into business as a wedding supply maker!! That basket is stunning! I would use that in my house all the time after the wedding!
And the pillow is just as stunning! The wrap of fabric, so sophisticated!!
This wedding is going to be so awesome!! I can't wait to see!!
xxDaniella
Wow, great job! Love the pillow...and the pin added to it.
Gifting flowers to near and dear ones on special occasions brings people together. The tight schedule of a busy person does not allow him to hand over flowers personally. For such people, flower delivery UK proves to be of immense help.
flowers toronto delivery downtown
Wow! Looks great!Seems quite difficult crochet making!
Post a Comment