The best laid plans. . .

 The Best Laid Plans: A Novel by Lynn Schnurnberger
            i found it here

Meaning

The most carefully prepared plans may go wrong. (Well, duh!)

I have no idea what the above book is about, but I liked the picture.  She looks like she either has attitude or is going to make sure she looks good when her plans go awry.. . which brings me to this post.  Yesterday (plus a few before that, but we'll stick with yesterday) I got this great idea to buy a box of peaches and make two peach pies (that went well) and make peach jalapeno jelly (I haven't ever made jelly before so this should be another interesting endeavor).  I also decided to make breakfast burritos and give some to my daughter and her husband and some for us....that would be where our story begins....I "attempted" to make hash browns (long and sad story) and they didn't work out so good but I thought, "They'll be fine...I'll just add a little seasoning to them".  Then instead of getting a new skillet, I scrambled the eggs in the same pan.  Can you say "smoke"?  Never seen it happen before and hope to never do it again.  Evidently I was in denial because I still thought, "it''ll be fine...I'll just add some seasoning to it".  Then I decided to sample it "just to make sure"...can you say disgusting burned? (I always like how NanaDiana crosses out what she really wants to say...makes me smile).  So, that project went down the drain...literally...which resulted in the best laid plans. The sink backed up, spilled out into the basement, overflowed on the kitchen floor as well as under the sink, etc, etc, etc...how many bowls, cooking utensils do you think were out?  You got it - a lot!  We had to leave to go to someone's home and didn't get back til late.  At least the pie came out.

Today the plumber came.  Can you say embarrassing?  I don't know what to be more embarrassed for - the mess or the smell.  I think I'll go with the smell.

smell bad

              i found it here

Anyway, this brings me to say that I have a mess on my hands plus I need to get the peach jelly done before the peaches get to ripe (they taste divine) and "IF" they turn out, I'll share a picture.  Otherwise, it'll just be another story.  It may be a few days before I post...sorry!

I just want you to know how much I love it when you stop by and let me know that you were here.  It totally makes my day!!



Blessings,

6 comments:

Pamelyn said...

This is such a funny story! I love all things peachy (being from Georgia)! Thanks for following my blog...your comments have inspired me!

Susie said...

Holly, With those doggies sticking their heads out the window...makes me wonder if they smelled that kohlrabi my husband ate yesterday. That is exactly how I felt..like sticking my head out the window.xo, Susie

Noelle the dreamer said...

Holly, you are priceless! I hate to admit it but I had such a good laugh, hubby came out of his flight deck/den to check it out!
In the photo background do I detect a Corgi? Love it!
Hang in there! The smell will soon be but a memory and you will have something to tell those grand kids one day!
Hugs,

NanaDiana said...

Ha Holly! Caught you using my name in vain, huh?;>) Is there anything more disgusting than the smell of something you have worked on and then burned? Do you know MyHero burns his toast EVERY FLIPPING time he makes toast? How DOES that happen? The kids' joke used to be (when MyHero was cooking) was that when the smoke alarm went off dinner was ready).

What a mess you made...er..had~I wanted to make a WISE CRACK but I don't know how to do that cross out thingy on comments! Speaking of cracks- what did the plumber look like?;>)

Anyway, I love fresh peaches - they are just getting to our area. YUM. I hope your peach jelly turns out. I'll be looking for a picture! xo Diana

Anonymous said...

What a story - you told it very well. It makes an enjoyable and interesting read but I know your angst! I figure a lot of us do.

If you peel the peaches, remove the pit, place the in a freezer bag/container with some sugar (or Pectin preservative), they'll save for making jelly another day. I prefer adding sugar instead fruit fresh (pectin) or whatever it's called. Don't have to add much sugar - but remember how much sugar is added when you go to the recipe you intend to use.

I love the dog photo.

I'm glad you retained your sense of humor. Our kitchen sink stops up quite regularly - we bought an attachment for the garden hose "Drain King" I think it's called - it blows out the blockage via the sewer trap. Not a fun job by any means. Our pipe lines from the kitchen to the main lines are not big enough for all the stuff that goes down a kitchen sink. (So the plumber told us. BTW - when it originally happened, only backed up in the sink) the plumber told us we'd have to tear up the flooring in the adjacent (hard wood floor) room and dig into the foundation. Another plumber with grit and determination unstopped the line. Thank goodness for that guy! That was right after we bought the house. That was hard to keep cool - but I'm glad that God gives us the grace to get through things . . . during or afterwards.

(I looked it - it is a drain king. There may be several styles though.)

Hope everything gets cleaned up and back to normal as soon as possible.

Oh I love how you kept saying just add some seasoning.

Take care and don't give up!

Hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

I just remembered - the pectin is to keep fruit from turning brown - which the sugar alone won't do. Got here as quickly as I could to mention it!

Search This Blog