Two Amazing Women

Extraordinary Women
May We Know Them
May We Be Them
May We Raise Them
Each month I try to feature amazing women.  They are inspirational.  I call them Women of Hope.  Today I am featuring two ladies together.  Both are artists. Both are EXTREMELY organized and get things done (LOTS). And both have great compassion for others. 
I am always looking for women who inspire (haven’t met one yet who didn’t).  If you would be interested in being featured, I would be honored to do so.  (I would love your feedback:  Do you like the idea of this being a “Woman of Hope” or “An Extraordinary Women”?)
Enjoy reading about Barb and Rhonda. 

Holly: I consider you both to be so inspirational.  Tell me what hope means to you.

Barb: Getting to the point in your life where you trust your path.  Then hope is possible because you know how you will grow. Growth comes from challenges.  Hope is the  ability to decide.   Living with alcoholism taught me to trust.  Trust in God. Trust in my having the ability to move in and out of a situation.  I learned to never give up hope because without hope we feel alone.
Rhonda:  Hope and faith walk hand in hand. The One you have your faith in determines your tangible hope.   We all need friends with strong faith, because when we’re down, our friends can give us a reason to be up, count our blessings, show us the way out and we can do the same for them.

Holly: What is your favorite saying or verse:
Barb: Leave good tracks.
Rhonda: Trust in the Lord with all your heart.  Lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths. Proverbs 3: 5-6

Holly: What color is hope to you? Why?
Barb: Hope is all colors because it has different faces.
Rhonda: Purple is hope because it is a royal color and represents the King and Jesus is my reason for hope.

Holly: You are both so creative.  What do you enjoy most about the creative process?



Barb:  To make something from nothing and to be challenged to come up with something that is different and unusual.  Creativity calms my mind.  I love photography but getting pictures matted and framed is work,  Wood burn gourds on the other hand is relaxing..  It’s fueling to me when people admire your work, but you need also to honor your own work.






Rhonda: I don’t think that I am that creative.  The best I can do is improve on an idea.  There is nothing new under the sun.
Holly: Weren’t you involved in Country Folk art shows?
Rhonda: Yes, I worked for them for eight years.  I was the show manager and then editor for the magazine, “Yippy Yi Yea.”  I guess you could say that I am an organizer and planner.   When I make something, I work backwards.  I think about what people are buying and then I create to that.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Holly:  Both of you work together to manage the CrossRoads gift shop and thrift store.   Tell us about that.

Barb:  What I like best is the people working there.  They are all volunteers who are there because they want to be and their positive energy makes people feel better.  They help people create income for worthy causes from around the world.  Most of our volunteers feel a sense of satisfaction because of what the store represents.  It is also fun to do the merchandising and being in charge of ordering new products.  Our store is a place of “Hope” as thrift helps locally and gift helps globally.
Rhonda: Can I just ditto that?!
Holly: Tell us what the store represents. 





Barb & Rhonda: CrossRoads is a fair trade marketplace.  In third world countries artists don’t have a market to sell their goods so they get scammed. World Fair Trade pays them fair money for their products and gives them a place to sell their wares.  What the people create to sell has to be be made of sustainable materials.  They can’t take from their environment.   Many times they use what might be otherwise thrown away or leftovers.  Also, we have a thrift area in the back of our store.  We send $1,000 monthly to the Mennonite Central Committee to help with programs such as AIDS, diabetes, digging wells, sewing, education in third world countries.  This provides a way to empower women and give them hope.  We are in a win-win situation.  We are a charitable organization that gives twice – we resell goods in our thrift store and the money goes for a good cause. We are helping artists by selling their handcrafted merchandise.  We also have thrift customers who buy things to repurpose and recreate cool items.
Holly: I can attest to that.  Look at what I just got from them.  I can't wait to do something with the pretties. 


(Doesn't this look like fun?)

Holly: Neither Barb or Rhonda is associated with the Mennonite Church but believe deeply in being charitable to others.  Just this spring they put together a community fashion show of thrift items to show others just how fashionable thrift can be.  It was a lovely luncheon coupled with an auction of goods and, of course, the money went to charity.  Barb and Rhonda, you two are AMAZING and INSPIRATIONAL!
Today I am linking with Beverly and all the other Pink ladies at How Sweet the Sound.  Please stop over and visit them too!

24 comments:

Unknown said...

A fabulous share & beautiful goodies in that shop.
Have a beautiful PS weekend~
TTFN ~
Marydon

Nancy said...

Happy Pink Saturday!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Very inspiring, indeed! This sounds a lot like a thrift store near us in Central PA... we have a MCC too.

I like "Extraordinary Women!" But Hope is such a soothing word.

Great pink Saturday post.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh how wonderful to meet these women and be inspired by them!!! Wishing you a Happy Pink Saturday and a wonderful weekend, Holly!
XO
Cindy

Marina Capano said...

Hi! beautiful post!

You're invited to participate in my new party Step by step on tuesday! it will be an honour if you are in my party!

xoxo

Unknown said...

Wow, Wonderful post Holly! Very inspiring women! Yes I signed up for another class last night. I finished Joanna's class and I'm half way through Zinnias. I know Nellie's will be an ongoing love for me and she already sent out the DVD so I can work at my leisure and Zinnia's tape is coming in the mail paid for so I think I will finish what I can this weekend if not all of it and work between Christy's and Nellie's while spending the most time on Christy's as she doesn't offer a DVD. So there you have it, thats my plan. Only thing between now and class finishing is my eye appt.(today) and one family birthday s I should be good! Hugs and smiles, are you having fun? Hope so, Marilou

Unknown said...

What a great couple of ladies...thanks for featuring them! I just love this idea of honoring special and amazing women! Also, as a side note, it just now today occurred to me the significance of the name of your blog! Ha!...guess I'm a little slow! Have a lovely weekend!


HaPpY pInK sAtUrDaY!
Sarah

Robin said...

fun post....it's very inspirational and motivational, and lots of fun art too.
Thanks for sharing.

Have a pinkishly beautiful weekend.

Anonymous said...

What a great post Holly! I have been to that wonderful shop before and bought several things there. It
has been fun reading more about the organization and how their hearts are for others!

bee blessed
mary

Char said...

I love to talk with inspirational women and there are so many. Looks like you had a wonderful time.
Happy Pink Saturday, Char

Bethe77 said...

What talented and inspiring women. Love all the beautiful pieces that are showed case in this blog as well. Wish I lived near to just go and wander around and llok at it all.
Holly I love that you spoke on hope and how each one viewed it and I love the color of hope. I see it as multi faceted as well.
I love your idea of inspiring women.
Hope you have a super blessed weekend Holly.
Blessings

poppilinnstudios said...

What a wonderful post! I like the idea of featuring "Extraordinary Women". Very inspirational.
Thanks for stopping in!
-Lynn

The French Hutch said...

hi Holly, Great inspiration from the ladies. Great feature and interview. Very creative art too. Hope your weekend is great. Happy Pink Saturday

~Emily
The French Hutch

Daniella said...

What a fabulous feature!! VERY wonderful women! And great artists too!!
Rhonda's favorite verse is the same as mine!! It is a powerful verse to me, it says it all!!
Great job Holly!
xxDaniella

NanE said...

Great post and yes, they are inspiring. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend, Nan

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Beautiful post! How wonderful to meet these women and be inspired by them.
Thanks for sharing:)
Love your creative space.
Hope to see you on my blog:)
HPS!

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

What an amazing post about two amazing women. I found it all fascinating and so worthwhile! What an undertaking to help empower women in places they would otherwise never get the exposure to succeed!

Thank you for introducing them to us!
Happy Pink Saturday!
Jil

xinex said...

Very creative ladies!...Christine

Ani said...

Everything here is just so beautiful. I love special finds like that and congratulate you for featuring such an inspirational woman here. -Lola at www.buddhatropolis.com

Twiggy said...

Lovely post. Thanks for sharing!
Happy pink saturday!

The Artful Diva said...

These women certainly are extraordinary! Happy PS!

Nancy said...

I'll say they are creative...as are you, Holly. What a neat idea featuring "Extraordinary Women". Very interesting and inspirational! xoxo Nancy

Rebecca said...

How wonderful to feature these women-very inspirational post!

mo said...

These ladies are extremely creative and humble.

What wonderful work they do.

I am your newest follower.

*hugs*

mo

Search This Blog