What Kind of Tree Are you


I've been thinking a lot about growth lately - my own, others, my children's and then I related it to trees. (You know, another world as text lesson).  
When we first begin to grow, we must, like a tree, grow our roots down deep so that when the storms of life come, we will be well grounded.  Once we have done that, then we can branch out.  Have you ever noticed those trees with the branches extending long and wide up toward the heavens?  They often have beautiful blooms on them as they begin yet another journey of regrowth.  I am more like those trees today than in my early years.  As I have experienced life, I chose to rethink some of my thoughts and beliefs.  Honestly, I was a little rigid, err I mean I didn't know I was that way.  I just thought it was the "right" way.  Uh-oh.  There it is.  "The right way" can sure get us into a lot of trouble.  I learned that there are many ways and that I didn't have the corner on the right way.  Now, my branches extend more and I welcome the beauty of regrowth as I forge ahead with the next chapter in my life.  I must say that I rather like it.  Birds come and perch on my arms and sometimes they even build nests and stay a while.  They must feel safe.  That is a good feeling.  The more extended out my branches are, the more I can provide shade from the heat.  If I have dug my roots down deep because I have learned that is what is necessary to remain calm and firm, then others can come and be safe there too.   I rather like being a tree.  There are so many kinds - some stately, some more beautiful than others, but all with purpose and meaning.  I think that I might like to be an oak tree.  How about you?  What kind of tree are you?

2 comments:

Bethe77 said...

OH HOlly! I so do love this post. I LOVE LOVE Trees! You wrote something I have b een dreaming about. Im so gald you did. It is an awesome blog.
I kind think I like to be a strong redwood. But there are times im an oak tree. But the one I think Id most like to be is the tree of lebbon. But the choices are many. I see growth in me in so many ways ltely that I would surely ahve to pick a tree that is pruned and then grows back fuller and stronger. An apple tree or maybe a cherry. But I so love the Tall strong ones.
Thank you.
Many Blessings

Marti McClure said...

Lovely prose about trees! I have also thought of growth lately as my daughter heads off to college 10 hours away. Thanks for the birthday wishes. Marti

Search This Blog