Some like it hot

 Wasn't that the name of a movie or something?  I never saw it, but it fits my post today.  You know I made the peach jalapeno jelly.  Well, well, well...let's just call that one a learning process.  I then decided that I needed to make regular jalapeno jelly especially since roasted jalapenos are big at the farm markets right now.  (Okay, they weren't roasted, but I had to throw that in because we have amazing produce here).  Okay, go ahead and call this one a learning process too.  Anyway, I made this jelly and evidently (yes, I screwed miscalculated), I didn't add enough (is it?) pectin.  I didn't add enough of whatever it is that thickens it.  However, it is very tasty and packs a good punch!  I live in an area where there is a Mexican food restaurant on every corner and they are all good.  So, hot and spicy is just what we do here. Anyhow, (focus, Holly, focus)...here is the recipe I used.  It packs quite a punch if you like a punch in your jelly.  (Every year I buy jalapeno jelly during the holidays and serve it over a block of cream cheese and scoop it onto several wheat thins.  It is the bomb!  My family loves it!  However, after paying about $6 for a small jar of jelly, I thought it was time to make my own.
Enjoy!  The recipe and picture are from the original author at Favorite Family Recipes.
Jalapeno Jelly
 
Ingredients
  • 1 lg. red bell pepper
  • 1 lg. green bell pepper
  • 10 jalapenos- leave seeds in!
  • 1 1/2 c. white vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 6 c. sugar
  • 1 pouch Certo liquid fruit pectin (usually by jello in wal-mart)


Instructions
  • In food processor, finely chop peppers. Put in large pot with vinegar, salt and sugar. Boil for 10 minutes stirring often. Add Certo pouch and boil 1 more minute. Fill canning jars. Water bath for 10 minutes (wait a day or so before serving so the jelly has a change to 'gel'). Makes about 6 half pint jars. Serve with Triscuits (or any cracker) and cream cheese. Also use as a dipping sauce for steak or chicken nuggets.
Blessings,

4 comments:

Love Of Quilts said...

I will bet that my hubby will be up for trying this one! He'll the jelly maker around here.

NanaDiana said...

Yum....MyHero would love this! Some Like It Hot was an old Marilyn Monroe movie...can't get much hotter than that-xo Diana

Nancy said...

Ooh...that sounds fabulous! That's just the way I like to eat my pepper jelly too...with cream cheese and crackers! YUM! :o)

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmm. And, I have a wonderful recipe for Jalapeno Jelly - on chicken. Mmm-hmmm. Maybe I should fix it, get photos so I can post it?

I haven't tried the recipe for the peach jalapeno jelly yet. I need to get it done!

I did grape jelly one year w/the neighbor's awesome grapes (they didn't pick them that year and offered them to us). The jelly was runny - I think b/c I didn't cook it quite long enough, but I don't remember. Anyway - it was good jelly. Made a little grape juice and conserve (loved the conserve). (Concord Grapes).

I'll mark your jalapeno jelly recipe too. I'm with you - too expensive for those little jars!

Thanks!

Search This Blog