It's the Pinkest

A few of months ago I was perusing blog land and happened upon the most delightful blog called the beehive cottage.  You should go check her place out - she is another one of those inspirational women! (Don't you just love the internet).  Anyhoo, she had posted about homemade laundry soap that she has been doing for months now.  I decided to try it.  Now, anyone who knows me well knows that it can take me months to "do" an idea. Well, I decided that with it being Mother's Day and all that it would be a good day to do something "homey" and "domestic".  It felt good, smelled good and even looked good....not good enough to eat but looked good in the sense that it was.......drum roll please.....PINK!  Some of the ingredients (okay, one, but still...) were pink, the blender that I used was pink and the container that I put it in has pink roses.  Can a girl go wrong here?  I think not. You have got to check out the pictures.  The recipe requires just a few ingredients and if you live in a big city, you should not have any trouble finding the items.  If you live in a small, out of the way, in the middle of nowhere (exaggerating a little bit here) town like I do, then you will probably have to drive to the big city to get the ingredients.  But, since that is what you do anyway when you live in a small town, you do more than just look for laundry ingredients.  You shop for all of the other things that you need and ignore the voice at the mall that keeps beckoning you to come see what's on sale.
Here is the recipe (courtesy of MaryJane from the Beehive Cottage) Thank you MaryJane!!

3 bars Fels Naptha Bar Soap - each bar is 5 1/2 oz.
(I LOVE TO USE PINK ZOTE THE BEST! USE 1~1/3 bars)
4 lbs. Borax
4 lbs. Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
4 lbs. Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
Mix and store in airtight container.
1 to 2 tablespoons per load.




I am joining Show Off Your Cottage Monday.  Please stop by to visit all of the lovely participants!

34 comments:

Trisha said...

I have really go to try this! The pink soap makes it so cute too! Happy Pink Saturday!

~Trisha

Anonymous said...

OOOOHHHH...what a great idea.....I will try this, too....but now I have to find a great PINK blender. It just wouldn't look right in my ugly brownish, tan one! ;)

Happy Pink Saturday! dana

mypinkprettiesaboutme said...

I do love the internet. I have met so many inspirational women. Thx for being one of them.

HPS

LL

Terri Morse said...

Great idea! I'm sure it works better that store bought detergent, and it will look pretty while it's doing it! Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Terri

LV said...

Great idea and looks like your soap turned out great in pink.

Unknown said...

Perfect pink soap ... wonderful idea.
Have a beautiful PINK weekend ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Holly,
Thanks so much for telling us about this! How neat!!! Wishing you a Happy Pink Saturday and a wonderful weekend.
XO
Cindy
P.S. Thank goodness blogger is back up!

Daniella said...

I love how it turned pink!! Your blender is awesome too!
HPS!!
xxDaniella

Shabbyprimdelights said...

Wow homemade soap...I have never tried to make it but now I might just have to.
Thankyou for sharing,
HPS
Michelle

Olivia said...

Thank you for sharing this neat idea! Happy Pink Saturday!
Hugs,
Olivia

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

I am so impressed that you made your own soap! I love the idea, especially in pink!

Char said...

Love the Beehive Cottage and have been using that soap recipe for quite some time now. I love love love it.
Happy Pink Saturday, Char

FABBY'S LIVING said...

OMG!, this is totally great! I love this pink soap idea, thank you so much for sharing. Yes, I think I saw that post too, about the soap making and yep, I love internet also...like a whole lot!
Thank you for coming by and leaving me such wonderful and sweet comments, lets keep visiting!
Hugs
FABBY

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

I make homemade laundry detergent too - but I don't have any pink ingredients. My recipe uses Fels Naptha bar soap. Where do you get the pink stuff? How cool is that?

Kay Ellen said...

Happy PS~! Holly :))

Fun soap !

Have a blessed weekend,
Kay Ellen

suesueb said...

How fun and Pink!! I do love the blog world too~so much inspiration!! Happy Pink Saturday!

Thepearsonfamilee said...

Happy pink Saturday. I am now following you too. Thank you for your sweet comment. I'm impressed with your homemade soap!

Charo said...

Love this idea!

Happy Pink Saturday!
hugs
Charo

Tara said...

I have never thought to do this before. I bet it smells yummy! Happy Pink Saturday and thanks for entering my giveaway. have a terrific weekend!

Anonymous said...

Oh - I really do want to do this! It's SO pretty! You have such a sweet~heart!
Happy Pink Saturday!
Hugs, Patti

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Holly Sweetie...
Happy Pink Saturday. What a beautiful share today. Smells good too. It looks so pretty now that it is all combined. I have never tried this before, but living in the BIG city of Phoenix, I am sure that I could find the ingredients.

Love your container as well. SO pretty. Thank you for sharing your wonderful find. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Anonymous said...

Holly I have been making this same laundry soap for over a year - I love the pink color and keep it in one of those big clear glass jars with a tiny porcelain child's cup to use as a measure.

I used a food processor instead of a blender just a hint in case someone has one of those instead.

I am wondering if you might be interested in trying to get the Colorado bloggers together for an outing at some point. Trying to get a list started of those that may be interested.

bee blessed
mary

Unknown said...

Awesome...thanks for the idea!

HaPpY pInK sAtUrDaY!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Happy Pink Saturday
What a fabulous idea!
Thank you so much for joining in the fun at my little Giveaway. I am so happy I discovered Pink Saturday and all the lovely people who are part of this link up.
Wishes
Lynne

Katherines Corner said...

Pink Soap, how wonderful! I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog. Hugs!

Nancy said...

Excellent share!

Love that pink soap.

Happy Pink Saturday!

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

The soap Looks so pretty when finished, too! This I am going to have to try. Thank you so much! And, did you know that a bit of white vinegar in the rinse will take away the need for any softening agent as well? I just learned that on another blog.
Happy Pink Saturday!
Jil

Jenny's Heart said...

I've been making my own for almost a year now, with Fels-Naptha (since Zote is not available here) it works great for me. It will make your clothes softer.

RachelD said...

Oh, My!!! Old times remembered!! My first MIL was a firm proponent of Borateem, and I can still smell the freshest-of-fresh laundry from our lines.

What a charming idea, and so homey in feel and thought.

rachel

Anonymous said...

Holly would you mind emailing me your email address so we could talk about the Colorado get together? I would love to get with you sometime though I am not sure where exactly you are in CO- I am thinking close to the Springs?

I have the missionary wives retreat next weekend then am helping cook for a rodeo Bible Camp after that so it may be a bit before we can connect but we will work at it till it comes about!

bee blessed
mary

my addy is
rosesandt at yahoo dot com

Mary C. Nasser said...

Gorgeous and inspiring photos of pink. :)

So glad I found you through the miz kate dot com Artist blog hop!
I am your newest blog follower. :)
Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

I welcome you to check out my art blog, too!

Best,
Mary C. Nasser
http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Yeah! So thrilled you made up a batch! I am sure you will be making lots more! I love making it and it smells heavenly! Have a wonderful week!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Kathy said...

Love the pink specks! Looks great - I have made homemade soap - it is truly great!
Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Kathy

Janet said...

I just LOVE this laundry detergent! I've been making it for at over a year now and use the pink zote, too! I did a post about it last summer! Thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
Janet

Search This Blog