The baby bird

The other day my husband came home and told me that a baby bird had fallen down a window well.  I thought that I would do a good deed and try to get the bird out.  Of course, you know, there was a lesson in this. 
It is probably about a 5-6 foot drop.  I decided to try a shovel to gather the bird up.  She squawked (did I mention that her mama was having a lot to say about it too?) I tried several time to lift her up with the shovel and I would get her almost to the top and she would panic, scoot out and fall land back on the ground.  After a few times, I decided that wasn't working, so I went and got a snow shovel.  The first time I got her on the shovel, I slowly pulled her up to safety.  She began to go back toward the window well and I gently guided her to safe grounds.  Then, she went and hid in the corner by our front steps.  I went out later and she was still there.  We decided that she might be thirsty, so I got a pan with some water and sat it next to her.  I came out a few minutes later only to see a large wet spot in the area and the baby bird was gone. 
I thought about how often I am like that baby bird.  I get myself into a pickle with what seems like no way out.  God comes down to try and get me out the mess and I panic as He tries to help me out.  He keeps trying and then thinks, "Hmmm, I will have to try another way with this one."  So, He gets His snow shovel out and tries again.  This time, it isn't as easy for me to squirm and I begin to think that maybe I am being "helped out of my predicament."  And, when I am scared after the incident, God, in His great mercy, gives me a drink of water as I rest.  That is enough for me to get on my way.
"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. And even the hairs of your head are all counted. So do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows." [Matthew 10:29-31]
I hope you feel cared for today!
Many Blessings,

6 comments:

Susie said...

Seeing baby birds in a pickle is hard to take at times. The bird may not have made it without your help. Smiles, Susie

Kathy said...

Good job, I am sure the parents were watching out for the baby, but being in the window well can be precarious for predators. I love learning things about God's care for us - beautiful comparison - I hope you have a blessed day,
Kathy

Marilyn said...

Great lesson for us all!♥♫

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story Holly. I love the way Jesus uses the little things in our life to teach us- I wonder many times how many lessons I have missed by not being a good student and listening!

bee blessed
mary

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful story, Holly. I know that I often miss the simplest of lessons...and wish I could ALWAYS be aware of what I need to learn- xo Diana

Little Birdie Blessings said...

What a sweet story Holly, thank you for sharing this, and a reminder of God's faithfulness to us. ~ Abby

Search This Blog