Summer Food Makes Me Feel Fine



My all time favorite vegetable is artichokes.  Not only do they taste wonderful but they are such a beautiful vegetable.  There is something about biting the edge of an artichoke leaf and pulling it through your teeth. Yummy!
I’ve always cooked them on the stove top, but I learned that you can also cook them in the microwave or finish them on the grill.  We were grilling out and so after I drained them from the stove top, I cut them in half, put butter on them and grilled them for about 15 minutes.   Here are some other variations of how to cook them.
Microwave:
Cut artichoke in half and season cut sides.
Place cut side down in flat bottom microwave-safe dish.
Add 1-2 inches of water or broth or ½ cup each of white wine and olive oil.
Cover lightly – cook on high for 20 minutes or until tender.
Drain and let cool before serving.
Oven:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Spread artichoke petals open to season.
Between the petals, drizzle olive oil and stuff chopped garlic.
Sprinkle top with ½ tsp sea salt.
Tightly double wrap and seal each individual artichoke with heavy-duty foil.
Place in pre-heated oven and bake for one hour and 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool before unwrapping.


 I also decided to try grilling portobello mushrooms.  (Side note: If you are the only one willing to try them, then you may be eating them all alone).
I mixed together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, oregano, basil, and garlic salt.  Stir it together and let marinade for 15 minutes.  Brush it on the underneath side of the mushrooms. 
Put on the grill for 5-8 minute on each side.
 YUMMY!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The photo of the artichokes is beautiful. I've only ever had them in dips. My husband loves mushrooms any way you can prepare them. Thanks for the recipes.

NanaDiana said...

I love artichokes too...dipped in drawn butter and pulled thru the teeth-YUM! I also love artichoke dip. Did you ever have heart-of-palm? If you like artichokes you will love it. You can actually find it canned in some stores..and I make a dip with it and substitute the heart-of-palm for the artichoke. It is just a slightly different taste and texture. MyHero loves mushrooms too~ xo Diana

JudyBug said...

I will have to try the artichokes in the microwave. Sounds so easy for a good summer veggie!

Daniella said...

I love artichokes too!! I actually have 3 fake ones, to put out in a basket or whatever, because I think they are beautiful too!!
Enjoy!!
xxDaniella

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Yummy is right! I love to eat artichokes.

Dee
Your new follower

Search This Blog