One Thousand Gifts

Lately I've been in a little bit of a funk.  You know what I mean - the kind that something is wrong and you're not sure how to pull yourself out of it or "how can I think differently about this situation".  Then yesterday I was speaking with my new blogger friend, Mary, and she told me about a book called 1,000 Gifts.  It is a book about looking for the good around us - living in the moment.  Right away I went to our local library and they didn't have it.  The librarian checked the library loan to see if we could get it transferred down and one of the big libraries in Denver had 8 copies that were all out with 12 more people requesting it when it came back in.  Needless to say, our librarian is now ordering the book for our local library "because it must be good." So, it could be a while before I get my hands on a copy (I should probably just buy it), But, I do want to get started on this journey of recognizing all there is to be thankful for (because there is so much).
So, here I go. . .
1. new days to begin again 

2. my family

3. health

4. being a child of God

5. my dogs

6. friends

7. perfume

8. blue jeans

9. air conditioning

10. the smell of spring

11. snow

12. books

13. mercy

14. being creative

15. walks with my dogs

16. coffee (with cream)
17. when people smile at you
18. laughter
19. quiet moments
20. chocolate
Go here to read more

10 comments:

Cindy Adkins said...

It is amazing, Holly! You will love it!!! So inspirational--it's one of those life-changing books!!!
XO
Cindy

NanaDiana said...

Well, I guess I am further out of the loop than I previously thought! I didn't hear about this book before either. hmmm...now I will have to search it out! xo Diana

Daniella said...

The best place to start is with your own list! And every day write down one thing that was good. There is always one thing, right?
Love your list!
xxDaniella

Adrienne said...

Hi, Holly -
I came here from Mary's blog. She and I are friends - blog friends who met and spent time together when she and her hubby flew into Portland, Oregon on their way to a conference on the Oregon Coast. I don't have to tell you what a wonderful gal she is.

I just bought this book and already I'm loving it. I've been keeping a Gratitude Journal over the last couple of weeks and it's amazing how I see small things I missed before.

I'll be back to visit again soon.
~Adrienne~

Love Of Quilts said...

You tell me if its any good when you do get to read it and I will sure read it...that funk your talking about is contagious. Trish

The Old Parsonage said...

I've never read it, but it's on my list. Hope that your funk passes.

And yes we all have a lot to be thankful for.

Leann

Splenderosa said...

I always look on the "up" side. Sometimes I'm disappointed, but most often I'm not. xx's

Veronica said...

Will have to loook for it. sounds great to cultivate my attitude of gratitude. love books like this that keeps me looking forward.

Veronica

Bethe77 said...

So Holly can you get this book at a book store or only on line? I guess Im out of the loop as well. this looks like a great book.
Would love to get it.
Blessings

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to hearing how you like the book Holly. I know it sure helped me. Still have the funk time at times but it you can't stay in it long when you purposely look for all the many ways to be thankful!!

Great list by the way!

Have a great time at you retreat this weekend!

bee blessed
mary

Search This Blog