Gluten Free Chex Mix


I love this time of year - my very favorite - Indian summer.  The days are still warm (who am I kidding, it is still at 100 degrees) and the night begin to cool off.  I love traditions and years ago I started to make chex mix as one of the treats for my kids to have after school.  It also makes a fun gift for Christmas to friends or coworkers.  This year I wanted to find snacks that are gluten free so I  thought about making chex mix that way.
Here is my made up version for those who are trying to eat better or need to eat gluten free.  Keep in mind that I live in rural community with limited health food stores (okay, one very small health food store with one or two things of each item) and so there is not the usual mix that I put in my mix.  If you have health food stores close to you, then I say go for it!  Walk down the snack aisle and see what else you could use in your mix - then, you too could stake claim to your own recipe.  This particular recipe was one that my grandmother made years ago (I'm talkin' years) and I just altered it a bit for this century of healthy snacks.
Cereal Canapes
Oven at 300 degrees
2 1/2 cups butter
2 Tbsp Worcestershire
3 drops(ish) Tabasco - I like a little spice
1 Tbsp garlic salt (I also add a little celery salt and table salt in the mix)
1 box of (gluten free) rice chex, corn chex and honey nut chex (that gave it a nice twist).
Gluten free pretzels (can you say expensive?)
1 jar peanuts
1 can of mixed nuts
Melt butter and add sauces and salt in oven.  Add rest of ingredients and stir. Place back in oven and stir every 15 minutes for 45 minutes to an hour.  Let cool and store in covered containers.  (I just put the mix back into the cereal boxes and use large Ziploc bags).
Yummy!
Linking today with:
http://romantichome.blogspot.com/
http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/
http://www.designsbygollum.blogspot.com/Blessings,

3 comments:

Love Of Quilts said...

This sounds like it would be good...I don't know what has gluten in it and what doesn't...I need to do some reading up on this. Trish

Anonymous said...

You know, I just got a box of the gluten free rice chex today - a part of our hurricane stockpile! Storm's heading our way here in South Jersey, but I think I have enough gluten free carbs to make it through a few days if we lose power. Hoping it fizzles and it's bark is worse than its bite!
Joy!
Miss Kathy

Natasha in Oz said...

That looks so yummy! I wish we had those chex crackers here in Australia. I love munching on them any time I visit America!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Search This Blog