Forgiveness

Forgiveness - not an easy feat when we've been painfully wounded.I once read that C.S. Lewis said it had taken him 26 years to forgive someone.  He said it in a celebratory way because he had finally gotten there.  I appreciate his honesty.  A friend asked me the other day how to forgive when the person continued to cause pain in her families' lives.  We talked about how forgiveness is more for us because when we can forgive, it takes away their power over us.  Does it mean that they will quit hurting us? No.  It means that how we let it affect us is different.  I'd love to tell you that I am an expert in the area of forgiveness but I am not.  Struggling with you....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgiveness is a gift that helps diminish what the hurter is able to do to us. There are many things I have forgiven in my years but the forgetting is always the hard part. I try to remember that God has both forgiven and forgotten my transgressions. Tender post.

DoanLegacy said...

It's easier said than done! Some time, something brings back the memory, and we can't help but hold the grudge for a while before we can let go totally!

Search This Blog