Children Say the Most Wonderful Things
The end of school is drawing near which seems to bring a lot of *stuff* with it. As children go through a wave of emotion, they often don't know how to handle all of their feelings. That, unfortunately, leads to a lot of hurt and sometimes pain. But, I have to share with you something refreshing that happened today. I had three young girls come and visit my office. They said that they had two things to talk about - one of which was a student that they thought was bullying other kids. I asked them if they would be willing to talk with the student and they said "yes." I then asked them what the other reason was for their visit and they said that they needed to take care of seeing the student first or otherwise they couldn't talk to me about the second request. Well, we talked to the student and it went well. I am often so pleased at students abilities to sit down and share their thoughts and feelings appropriately. Afterwards, they told me that they wanted to make a contract with each other in my office that they would not be involved in any drama for the rest of the school year. I smiled because of their request to do what was right and because they are already such awesome children! They told me that they felt like talking to the other student was "drama" but I assured them that part of not having drama was to address problems just as they had that day. All to often we tend to turn the other cheek if the problem doesn't involved us - at least I have. They were shining stars today and after dealing with some real drama earlier today, this is just what I needed.
Labels:
children,
drama,
school is out
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
It sure gives us hope for the future. If only some adults could handle things as responsibly as these young people did. Very encouraging.
Amen, Donnie! Well said.
That warms my heart and puts a huge smile on my face. I have a granddaughter that is bullied at school and they never seem to address the issue or th ones doing the bullying. My daughter has confronted them many times. So to read this story makes me happy and warms my ehart.
Blessings
Thank you, Bethe. It warms my heart too!
hugs!
Post a Comment