Reminiscing

Turn Around

Where are you going, my little one, little one

Where are you going, my baby, my own?

Turn around and you're two, turn around and you're four

Turn around and you're a young girl going out of my door

Turn around, turn around

Turn around and you're a young girl going out of my door

Where are you going, my little one, little one

Little dirndls and petticoats, where have you gone?

Turn around and you're tiny, turn around and you're grown

Turn around and you're a young wife with babes of your own

Turn around, turn around

Turn around and you're a young wife with babes of your own

Turn around, turn around

Turn around and you're the young girl going out of the door

Where are you going, my little one, little one

Where are you going, my ba-by, my own?
(song by Malvina Reynolds)

Do you remember this song? Every time I hear it, I get teary eyed and no more so than this year. This year my daughter graduates. She is the youngest and her brothers have been gone for a few years. Don’t you wonder where the time goes?

Wasn’t it just yesterday that you were curling her hair for her first dance recital? Wasn’t it just yesterday when she poured red nail polish on the brand new carpet and then asked if you were going to call the police? (I love that one). Wasn’t it not too long ago that a boy broke her heart, that she got her driver’s license, that she hugged you and said that she just needed her mom? Now, she is on the last half of her senior year, trying to decide what college to go to and continuing to grow into a beautiful young woman. She is everything that I dreamed she would be. This post is not only for moms getting ready to prepare their children for the next chapter of their life but especially for you, my beautiful daughter. I am so very, very proud of the young woman you are and the woman you are becoming. I am blessed!
Please visit to Beverly, our wonderful Pink Saturday hostess.






15 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a hard chapter, letting go. It's mixed feeling too because you are so proud of them, yet you want them to turn around and run back in the house like they did when they were little.

Happy PInk Saturday, your daughter is lovely.
Karen

Jacqueline said...

What a wonderful tribute to a lovely daughter and a lovely mother. It is hard, but it is really fun having grown up children who become great friends! She is just gorgeous. Have a lovely PInk Saturday.

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

This was such a lovely post. I just sent my daughter off to college this year. It was bittersweet. Proud but sad she is flying the coop. Enjoy your last "school days" with her. Visiting you from Pink Saturday. I'm your newest follower and would be delighted to have you follow me back! Happy PS!

Char said...

Yep, it's so hard, but it's something we have to do, cut the strings and let them go. Happy Pink Saturday, Char

Unknown said...

Holly, your write is just wonderful! The hardest thing to do is let go ... may you both enjoy adulthood together in a love that will be cherished forever. Beautiful daughter ...

Have a happy PS weekend ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

Anonymous said...

She is truly a beautiful young woman but now you will have an equal, a friend and a daughter. I remember my sons as children but I have been blessed to know them as adults.

Kristin said...

Your daughter is gorgeous, and I'm in puddles over the lyrics. My little girls are 6 (7 in a few weeks) and 3 and already I can tell that time is passing by MUCH faster than it used to. Wow, it's been nearly four years since I curled hair for that first dance recital...and it seems like yesterday. Why can't we slow them down?!

First time Pink Saturday-er...hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

Lovely tribute, Holly!
and lovely daughter ~
totally cute pink car too :))
HaPpy PS!

Unknown said...

Awww...I'm so not ready to even consider letting my girls go! My oldest will be 11 next week. What a beautiful post...thank you!

HaPpY pInK sAtUrDaY!
Sarah

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

They do grow and go, so fast! Lovely words, to honor both mothers and daughters. Have the best day ever.

Kathy said...

Lovely tribute - my daughter is going to graduate this year too - my other two are grown and gone - wondering where time goes -
Happy Pink Saturday,
Kathy

Dru said...

What a sweet pink post, such a pleasure to read. Your daughter is lovely and thanks for sharing this part of your life with us. Happy Pink Saturday!

Custom Comforts said...

What a beautiful post and such lovely pictures of your daughter. I have to let my daughter go soon. She'll be taking a summer internship at Hilton Head and maybe a permanent job. Not sure what I'll do without her, it's always just been her and I since she was a baby. Too fast they grow up.
Cindy

Unknown said...

They grow up entirely too fast. I love that song...it always gets me. That one and Sunrise, Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof. So very true. But the new adventures the kids take you on are pretty special too :)

Blessings!
Gail

Custom Comforts said...

Holly ~ you have an award waiting for you over at my blog. Stop over when you get a chance to receive it. Congrats!
Cindy

Search This Blog