A Year of Hope
I spoke with a special friend a few days ago as she shared with our study group that she keeps a journal of sweet gifts that God gives her throughout the year. I asked her to tell me more about it and she said that Christmas had been a difficult for her once upon a time so a friend encouraged her to keep a journal of all the sweet gifts that God gives her throughout the year. She said that she was just getting ready to sit down and read through them. I appreciated her openness as she shared her struggle with the holidays because I too have struggled with some pain as this special day comes around. That's not to say that I don't love the music, the decorations, spending time with friends and family, etc....I do love it all. But, like many others I hae expereienced pain and am reminded of it during this time of year. Even as she shared her journal idea with me, my thoughts began to brighten because I too have been given many sweet gifts. Years ago when the pain was so difficult I asked, seeked, cried and fervently prayed that God would use this pain for good. There was a time in my life when the pain was so great that any hope was swallowed up by the darkness I felt. But, God in His graciousness sent the right people at the right time in my life. One sweet friend gave me a journal and told me to write down one thing each day that I was thankful for no matter how small it seemed. I have to admit that it was not always easy, nor did I do it each day....but, I did do it and as I took those steps to write, hope began to loom on the horizon. Many years have gone by since then and much good has come. I continue to think that God is not finished with this story, so I continue to believe in hope. I have thought a lot about that word because I have always wanted to encourage women to find hope in their lives. As I think about that, I have to ask "just what is hope?" Hope is about what is to come - what we wait expectantly for - what keeps us going. I don't know what it looks like for you, but I know that we all hold onto it especially when times are difficult. It is the spark that keeps us going, waiting, hoping. So, I thought that I would title this year for me, "A Year of Hope." I look forward expectantly knowing that God is working on our behalf and gives us the desires of our heart. I believe that those desires are coupled with the gifts that He gives us and that is exciting to me. I would love to hear from you and know what hope means to you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hope inspirits! my email signature quote :)
your article brought a particular response to mind and an encouragement to do a word search on 'hope' - biblegateway makes it easy to search the different translations too :) believing this will inspirit you as well, from the Message,& perfectly timed following Isaiah's prophetic references we read in Advent, " Isaiah's word:
There's the root of our ancestor Jesse,
breaking through the earth and growing tree tall,
Tall enough for everyone everywhere to see and take hope!
Oh! May the God of green hope fill you up with joy, fill you up with peace, so that your believing lives, filled with the life-giving energy of the Holy Spirit, will brim over with hope!" Rom 15.13
Blessings as you enter His new year of Hope for you ~ initiator and God of all HOPE... MUCH LOVE!
Post a Comment