The Airport


After 51 days, 8 hours and 10 minutes, I got to reunite with my daughter who had been away for the summer. I made the 3 hour drive up to Denver International Airport hoping and praying that I would not be late. I had received a text from her that said they were going to be an hour early. Needless to say I put the pedal to the metal. (I always wanted to say that). I arrived with time to spare because the plane was not as early as expected. Whew, I thought! I can relax a little. I found my way to a shop that was selling single roses for $5 each or a dozen for $19.98. Five dollars for a single rose?! Why, that's highway robbery as my grandfather used to say. But, they've got us because our emotions are running high and we would gladly spend money to show our loved one returning home how much we love them. Once I bought the rose, I settled down into a chair among others who were waiting for their loved ones to arrive. Some had gone to elaborate measures with signs that said, "Welcome to Colorado" or "Welcome to the United States." I watched as some lovers reunited in a warm embrace and a young lady yelling at someone and then running and jumping into his arms. It was then that I decided that I was sitting in the happy place at the airport. I had the opportunity to watch others including a little girl who kept telling her mama how excited her daddy would be. What a fun place to be - seeing people smile, warm embraces, the energy that they gave off because of their excitement....Then it was my turn. Surely this group, I thought, will have my daughter in it. I stood there and could feel my body tense up with excitement when I saw my daughters beautiful face. The lady next to me must have sensed it because I saw out of the corner of my eye that she was stepping to the side as if to give me room to make my way toward my daughter. I could see her looking for me and then I saw her eyes light up and her mouth form a smile and I knew that she saw me. Ahhh, it is in those moments that you wish time would stand still so that you could hold onto the memory just as it is. But, since that doesn't happen, I will just tuck that memory away in my heart and pull it out anytime I need to go to my happy place.

1 comment:

Clothmatters said...

Thank you so much for being part of our CDA Blog Hops!

Connie

Search This Blog