Woman of Hope Interview Questions
Octobers Woman of Hope
My hope is built on Jesus protective love and faithfulness to me I’m blessed to have faith, hope and purpose in God.
Tell us about yourself.
I like long, tall wide narrow things, love the primitive look and feel of yesteryear, I love the gentle breeze on a warm day, and I enjoy watching children play in the snow and rain. I like the deep rich colors of fall, I like who I am and I’m excited to see how God will shape me and who I become. I’m a Christian wife, mom, grandma, and doll artist. I have lots of close faithful friends who love and encourage me. I am also unable to speak. In July 2004 I became ill and by October I lost my ability to speak with many other health issues attached. In 2007 I began making Primitive dolls as my sister-in-law said in passing “I’d like one of those as she points to a primitive doll. That’s how the Rusty Knob Prims and Dolls began. I bought a few Primitive doll patterns and thus began this sweet journey as a doll maker. Creating handmade dolls has helped me over come in so many ways. The dolls help me keep my hands busy and my creative mind creating rather than on ME and my circumstances. These silly dolls give me hope as each one is created and she develops her own personality. They give me a purpose as I plan to move forward each day. I paint or stitch a heart on each doll. I give each prim doll a name and I just can’t make two exactly the same each one has her own primitive personality. Sometimes they talk to me like… you know I want wings or I’d rather have a rusty knob (red hair) and Annie legs for my dolls. (What I, Holly, want to share is that Char recently entered her dolls in the State Fair and was the winner in so many categories. AND, last year she sent some of her dolls to Somerset Publications and this September she will be in PRIM magazine along with some of her wonderful dollies). Go Char!
What do you consider your gifts?
I can look at something and then I create my own rendition with my own Primitive style incorporated. I have to think and mull it over for a few days or weeks to get to where it comes to me then I go for it. Sometimes it will come to me in the middle of the night so I get up write down what I’ve come up with then I can finally sleep on it.
I have enjoyed many of your creative gifts. What is your favorite way to be creative?
I enjoy each part of the creative journey a doll makes from the design decision to dressing her. The cutting is therapeutic the sewing is soothing as the machine raps along with the motion of movement, then comes the turning and stuffing, and hand stitched assembly. My favorite part is when I have a whole bunch without faces and they fill a bucket or I have painted legs hanging on the cloths line in the kitchen that to me is Beau-t-i-ful. Then comes painting and hand stitching faces, color choices oh, that lets the creative juices flow and she becomes a doll of beauty and personality. And best of all is when someone picks out a doll it’s the giggle and laughter that it music to my soul. That’s when you know the girl and the doll are kindred spirits. I kiss them good –bye as they leave to go to their new home.
What do you do to relax?
My best down time is when I go with my husband while he metal detects or golfs. I relax as I watch him and read or do hand stitchery that’s relaxing for me. I love my family and of course my new grand baby I’m in love all over again when I see him, I sure love to hold him and play as he lifts my spirits to new heights. O the blessed joy of grandchildren.
What is your favorite saying or verse?
My favorite verse is Isaiah 26:3-4 Thou will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee because he trusts in thee. Trust in the Lord always, for the Lord God is the eternal Rock.
My favorite quote comes from Oswald Chambers “our circumstances are the means of manifesting how wonderfully perfect and extraordinarily pure the son of God is”.
What color is hope for you?
I believe the color of HOPE is RED for me. We purchased our little home with the intention of redoing the inside plus adding on to the existing house then building a new home for us on the lot next door. Well plans change seasons come and go and in God’s plan for me I became ill and all those dreams went to the way side as my health became first priority. I’ve had a long wait for my kitchen to get done. Yippee! It’s almost complete now its red and tan with primitive stars I love it! It’s warm and comforting to me I can appreciate it a whole lot more. It has been a good lesson in hope and patience because something’s are worth waiting for.
What is hope to you?
Hope knows and believes God has created you to be a person of worth.
Hope it the joyful day you say I do.
Hope is a new born child and the future he holds.
Hope is a life lived for God and with purpose.
Hope is knowing life is short, a moment in time, soon I will meet Him face to face with a voice that sings and shouts as this life’s trials will be over.
As always on this fun day, please stop by to say hello to Beverly and the other Pink Saturday ladies!
Blessings,As always on this fun day, please stop by to say hello to Beverly and the other Pink Saturday ladies!






17 comments:
What a beautiful person. I am headed over to meet her-and to become a follower! Thanks for introducing her- xo Diana
Hey Holly- You might want to put a link to her blog- I don't see one on your post. I googled her to find her though- xo Diana
Hi Holly,
It's so nice to meet Char and hear of all her talents---WOW!!! She is amazing!!
XO
Cindy
She sounds amazing. Trish
What a sweet soul!
Hugs,
Susan and Bentley
Thanks for sharing that interview and best of luck to her. The dolls are just wonderful. xoxo Nancy
What an inspiring story...I am familiar with her great dolls but not her story. Thank you for that!
I am going to have to go and find her.
HPS!
Jil
Oh, Holly - Thanks so much for posting this lovely bit on this delightful artist! I WANT ONE!!!! Actually, I would love to go back to my crafting, too. Alas, not to be - crafting just with words these days - and on the side for fun only. Char is amazingly talented! I love her spirit and really needed to hear her ministering words on hope and purpose! Thanks Char - and Holly! Marvelous pinks today!
Joy!
Miss Kathy
A very beautiful, informative and inspiring post.
Hiya Miss Holly - Actually, in response to your sweet comment on my Lacey Ladies post, when I lived in Charleston, SC some twenty plus years ago and served as a children's pastor, everyone called me Miss Kathy. Sounded strange, at first, to this Jersey girl, but it just kinda stuck. Now, "Miss Kathy" is my performance persona - it feels strange to be called Mrs. Ross.
Joy!
Kathy
Hi Holly,
Happy Pink Saturday, my friend!!!
XO
Cindy
Char's dolls are so whimsical - I cannot pick one favorite - I love them all!
Love those primitive dolls! She is a very talent artist!
Happy Pink Saturday!
hugs
Charo
Wonderful interview Holly! Char is totally an inspiration!And her work is amazing!! I am so honored to have met her!
xxDaniella
Happy pinkness...Happy Autumn....I am so excited for Fall, I know you are too !!It just makes me want to cozy up...enjoy your week-end!
God Bless You
Kandy
I came here from Pink Saturday and I'm now a follower. I love these prim dolls, headed over there to see more. Thank you for introducing me to this wonderful dollmaker.
Oh, and thank you for the sweet comment about my little rabbit pattern! You're very welcome! (Maybe I should make some more pink ones...)
Post a Comment